Addis Ababa – or Addis as it is commonly known – is Ethiopia’s capital, the country’s largest city and home to at least 4 million people. It is often referred to as Africa’s diplomatic capital – the African Union (AU) and the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) are headquartered in Addis Ababa, and more than 100 international missions and embassies are based there.
A top-rated Washington DC Financial Services firm ranked Ethiopia Number 3 on the fastest growing economies list.
Ethiopia, with a total population of 95 million people, has averaged around 10.5% GDP annual growth over the last decade with a significant middle-class population who like to travel. Ethiopia’s GDP is expected to grow to $69.21 billion. Per capita annual income is now $760. Ethiopia intends to become an export powerhouse in the next decade through industrialisation Ethiopia has overtaken Kenya this year as the biggest economy in Eastern Africa, due to massive spending on infrastructure as well as major Foreign investments.
Ethiopian Airlines is rapidly expanding its route network which is stimulating outbound leisure travel by Ethiopians to African and overseas destinations. Ethiopian Airlines now serves 58 destinations in Africa and more than 125 globally, making it the largest pan-African airline with the most destinations on the continent.
Over the past few years the outbound market from Ethiopia has registered significant growth years. Over 9000 Ethiopians visited South Africa in 2018 (a 5%growth on 2017) and approximately 24,000 Ethiopians travelled to Kenya.
There is also a significant expatriate population who travel frequently on business and on holiday. Addis is the headquarters for the AU and UNECA as well as many NGO’s and other International Organisations based there.
Ethiopian Airlines has been designated the Official carrier of Spotlight TravelExpo.
Ethiopian Airlines’ Addis-based Sales team will be sending invites to all 95 IATA Travel Agents as well as more than 120 Non-IATA Agents based in the capital. Ethiopian Airlines will actively encourage agents to attend Spotlight TravelExpo.
Kenya, Seychelles, Zanzibar, South Africa, China, Thailand, United Emirates, USA, Europe are the most popular destinations for Ethiopian travellers.
Spotlight TravelExpo supported by Ethiopian Travel Agents Association (ETAA) the Ethiopian Tour Operators Association (ETOA) and Ethiopian Airlines.
Spotlight TravelExpo Addis Ababa will comprise two events:
- A VIP Cocktail Party for 30 Top Travel Agency / Tour Operator Owners / Directors in co-operation with ETAA, ETOA and Ethiopian Airlines on Wednesday evening 24 July. Sponsored by Ethiopian Skylight Hotel Addis Ababa.
- One 4-hour morning TravelExpo session on Thursday 25 July at Ethiopian Skylight Hotel Addis Ababa Hotel
Regional African and Overseas Travel is increasing so it will be an ideal opportunity for Airlines, International Tourist offices, Beach Resorts, Hotel Groups and Cruise Companies to network with agents.
The TravelExpo will promote:
- Inter-regional Travel from Ethiopia to Eastern Africa, Indian Ocean Resorts and other African countries
- Outbound Overseas travel from Ethiopia
- Domestic Travel within Ethiopia
Profile of Buyers Attending
Ethiopian Corporate and Leisure Travel Agents, Inbound and Regional Tour Operators, Corporate Travel Planners (Secretaries), in particular international organisations, NGO’s and Embassies in Addis and Press.
Table-top workshop – Free Flow (not scheduled appointments). One 4-hour breakfast session for approximately 90-100 trade attendees.
How Will the TravelExpo be Promoted
- I have appointed ETOA to send out invitations and chase-up registrations.
- Invitations will be sent using our specifically targeted databases to Travel Agencies (Leisure and Corporate), Inbound and Regional Tour Operators, and major Corporate Travel accounts.
- Ethiopian Airlines Addis-based Sales team will be sending invites to all 95 IATA Travel agents as well as over 120 Non-IATA Agents based in the capital. Ethiopian Airlines will actively encourage agents to attend Spotlight TravelExpo.
- Ethiopian Airlines will be offering two (2) air tickets (to Kenya, Zanzibar or the Seychelles) as prizes in our lucky draw at the TravelExpo. This will be a big drawcard for the Trade to attend!!
- Ethiopian Airlines will also be promoting Spotlight TravelExpo Addis on their social media platforms.
- The Ethiopian Travel Agents Association (ETAA) will also encourage their members to attend.
- Frequent reminders will be sent via email and telephone follow-ups.
Wednesday 24 July 2019: Ethiopian Skylight Hotel Addis Ababa
- Fly into Addis
- 19h00 – 21h00: VIP Cocktail Party for 30 Top Travel Agency / Tour Operator Owners & Directors in co-operation with ETAA, ETOA and Ethiopian Airlines
- Overnight at Ethiopian Skylight Hotel
Thursday 25 July– Venue – Ethiopian Skylight Hotel Addis Ababa
- 08h30 – 12h30: Breakfast and Spotlight TravelExpo for trade
- 12h30 – 13h30: Light lunch and prize draw
- 13h30: End of Travel Expo
- Fly home
You will need a minimum of one night’s accommodation on Wednesday night. Ethiopian Skylight Hotel (the venue for the Cocktail Party & the TravelExpo) are offering a room rate of USD120.00 B&B (subject to 15% tax and 10% service charge) – approx. $151 including taxes.
Ethiopian Skylight Hotel is opposite Bole Airport Arrival Terminal and provides complimentary shuttles from the arrival terminal. Please request when making your hotel reservations.
Ethiopian Airlines will offer Exhibitors 12% discount on Business Class and 10% discount on Economy class fares on their flights to Addis (please note these discounts do not apply to Promotional fares). Ethiopian Airlines flies to more African cities than any other carrier.
Ethiopian Airlines provide a direct booking link for exhibitors to book their discounted flights online (Click here to make a booking). Promo Code for ET Ticket Office Sales; Promo Code: STE19. Travel to ADD is valid from 15 July 2019. Travel from ADD is valid from 24 July – 04 August 2019.
Exhibitors can apply for visas using the following e-visa link Click here to apply
Costs Include (See booking form for workshop costs)
- Cocktail Party on 24 July
- Workshop venue and catering expenses
- Extensive marketing campaign
- Breakfast and finger lunch on 25 July
- Full database of all attendees for follow up sales purposes.
- Listing + logo + 40 word company description in programme given to each attendee.
Flights to Addis, airport transfers, Hotel accommodation, visa fees, and meals other than specified.